CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Todd's Big Star and Little Snippets

You know those bright, clean, fancy-schmancy grocery stores we all go to? The ones with their own sushi bar, Starbucks, and extensive gourmet grocery selections? Do you ever miss the small-town grocery stores we grew up with? Today, I went to Todd's Big Star. The very first time I visited there, my snobby self declared it, "not the nicest grocery I've been to." I've heard this from newcomers many times since then. But as time's gone on, it's grown on me. And today, I'm it's biggest fan. The 3 girls and I are in shopping there today, and E begins complaining. "My tummy hurts, I'm tired..." if you know her well, you know she's said THAT before. So I told her to "chill out," that we'd be out of there in no time. So, as I'm back in the meat section, I'm discussing the merits of babyback ribs compared to pork spareribs with the female butcher. I picked up a rack of ribs and some chicken wings(Hey, Drew's watching the game tonight..game food, okay?) and E grabbed me tightly and said emphatically, "My tummy's REALLY hurting." I said, "Do you think you need to throw up?" she says, "Yes!" I quickly yell to the butcher, "Where's the bathroom?" and I turn E's face AWAY from the fresh meat case and start running. Meanwhile the sweet butcher lady's saying, "It's okay, honey, go on," as E begins throwing up all over me, and the floor. She threw up once more in the entry of the bathroom, and was done. After cleaning up the floor of the bathroom, we walk out, and a guy with a mop walks by. I say, "Oh, I'm so sorry, you just had to clean that up, didn't you?" He replies, SOOOOO kindly "Don't worry about it, she's just a little kid. She can't help it."
Sweet. He even let me leave my cart in the middle of the aisle and bolt out of the store as quickly as possible!
Guess where M's favorite place to sit is? We have about a 25% rate of success currently.
Doesn't my 7 year old look 12 here? Is it me, or is she growing at a warp speed? Maybe it's the black!

And finally, the E quote of the week: "Hey Mom, there's the cross that Jesus died on! And there's that little hat-thingy he wore! It's right there! (after spotting the cross at the car place by Danver's)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer,

So glad you went into Todd's, no it's not a fancy place at all! My friends own that store, in fact they've visited a lot at Trace Crossing ~ Clay and Casey Knight. They have the best meat in town, by far!! Poor E and you, too!!! Hope she's better! Tami

Heather said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet puppy.
I don't make it to Todd's much these days but I've always loved that store!