CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What is a teenager?

E and O were just in my closet trying on my shoes. E comes out with my tall black boots on, and wiggles her hips, and struts her stuff into my living room. She put one hand on her hip, cocked her head and said, "I'm a teenager." Drew says, "What's a teenager, E?" E replies, "You know, they go to high school and lots of parties and stuff."
I spend much of my time worrying over my 3 girls being teens. I'm no dummy, I know they won't be perfectly behaved. They will probably become really shallow and materialistic, and experiment with things sometimes, which gives me the shivers to think about. I pray about it almost daily. What building blocks must I give them when they're young so they will have a firm foundation to stand on when it really matters? When temptation REALLY knocks? God has appointed me, as their mother, to teach them how to walk as a Godly woman in this world. Their spirits, their clothing, their attitudes, their compassion, their mercy, their thoughts, their choice of a husband, and more, should all reflect His glory. THAT is a tall order for a mother to fill. I keep thinking about the scripture in Isaiah that talks about putting on "garments of praise." Here it is: "....to give to them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified."(Isaiah 61:3)
Oh, that they, as teenagers, would not limit their lives to high school and parties, but be "trees of righteousness," and have beauty, the oil of joy, and garments of praise!!!!

1 comments:

Carley said...

Oh your fear of the teenage years is definitely shared by me....i can't even go there! hope to see ya'll soon..maybe we can get the littles together while the bigs are at school??