CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Autumn Pumpkin Tureen

As promised, here's the recipe for the "Pumpkin Fondue" as I have nicknamed it. Although the name sounds complicated, and the end result looks complicated, the recipe is not hard at all! This will be a great one for Halloween or Thanksgiving parties. It turns out beautiful and is delicious.

1 pumpkin (4 lb), washed and dried
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz baby Swiss cheese, shredded
4 slices white bread, toasted, crumbled
2 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 pt half and half
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
French bread fingers, buttered, toasted, for dipping (I also add crackers to platter)

Preheat oven to 350. With serrated knife, cut 2 inch slice from top of pumpkin and reserve. Remove seeds and fibers. Blend oil and garlic and rub into interior of pumpkin, then place in a large roasting pan. Alternate layers of toast crumbs and cheeses inside pumpkin. Combine half & half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and pour over layers. Replace top and bake pumpkin 2 hours, gently stirring contents after 1 1/2 hours. Serve on platter with french bread fingers and crackers for dipping. You can 1 and a half the recipe or double it by using a larger pumpkin.
This recipe is from Come On In, the Jackson, MS Junior League cookbook. I highly recommend this cookbook!

3 comments:

Jackamo said...

I have a request. Could you change your blog to show more than just the most recent post? I had to back it up multiple times to see posts that you just posted today. I think that I'm missing out on a lot of posts b/c of this. You can stick your tongue out at me and say, "It's my blog, I'll do it how I want," if you want to.

Jackamo said...

AND this sounds YUM!

The Love's said...

If you connect to my blog from your blog, and click on the title of my post, it will only show you that post. If you click on my blog name instead, it will take you to my blog and it will show you all posts. And I AM sticking my tongue out at you!