CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

O for President!

At O's school, they've been studying about the presidential elections. I've been surprised at how much she's soaked in! I'm really proud of her for being semi-informed for the elections. Too bad she can't vote. She's probably more informed than half of America.
Anyway, they had a mock election and she told me she voted for McCain. Here's our conversation. Forgive me if this offends anyone, but I have to say, she's only 7!
Me: O, who'd you vote for?
O: McCain
Me: Why'd you vote for McCain?
O: Because he's a Christian and he's white.
Me: (Silence)
Me: Uhhh, is Obama not a Christian?
O: Well, I don't know. On our fact sheet, it just said McCain was a Christian, not Obama.
Me: Okay, that's great that you want a Christian president! Just an fyi, Obama says he's a Christian, too, okay?
O: Okay
Me: Why do you care if the president is white? Do you think we could have a black president, too?
O: Yeah, I guess, but I just wanted a white president because I'm white.

I was hesitant about posting this, because I didn't want to portray my daughter as racist! She never hears any kind of talk like that around our house. O has black friends, and has had some over to play before. She has never seemed to care or notice, and I pray she always treats people who are different from her just the same. However, I think she's of an age where she's noticing differences. It's Drew and my job to help her perceive things the way Jesus would perceive them. To treat others with grace and dignity, and to never think she is better than anyone else. I am so glad we had the conversation, because I believe it was a reminder to me that O is away from me for at least 6 hours a day, and it is up to me to help her filter all that goes on around her when I am not with her. It's also our job to pray a lot!

0 comments: